This post may contain links from our sponsors. See our disclosure for more information.
In today’s short review, I’ll be answering the question, is UserTesting legit? I will walk you through how the site works and tell you all you need to know.
Because let’s face it. Today there are literally thousands upon thousands of sites promising to put some extra cash in your pocket. And most are a waste of time. Find out if you should give UserTesting a try or keep it moving.
Here we go.
What is UserTesting?
UserTesting was founded in 2007 and is headquartered in San Francisco, California. Their mission is to create a great user experience for companies. They do this by giving companies access to people in their target market who in turn share feedback in the form of video, audio and written content.
Whether it be a real-time interview, or users recording their feedback in a video, companies can get a better understanding of their customers.
The idea behind UserTesting is to help businesses get to know how customers interact with their digital properties to create a great user experience. Hence the name UserTesting.
Create A Better Customer Experience | UserTesting https://t.co/Mlrz7Y5wh8— ぺっく (@peccul) July 23, 2019
UserTesting has worked with over 34,000 companies. Some of these companies include the big dogs like Google, Facebook, CBS, Apple, and The Home Depot.
How to Join UserTesting
You can sign up be a user tester by going to the UserTesting website and following some simple instructions.
You will need to provide some basic information as well as your email address. Also, UserTesting pays via PayPal, so you will need a PayPal account to get paid for your work.
Requirements to Get Started With UserTesting
- A PC or Mac, an internet connection, and a microphone. You’ll need an iPhone, iPad, Android phone or Android tablet if you’d like to take Mobile tests
- Ability to download their testing software
- You must be at least 18 years old
- Ability to speak your thoughts aloud in English
UserTesting is available in 46 countries in the following parts of the world:
- Africa, Middle East, and India
- Asia Pacific
- Latin America and the Caribbean
- North America
The UserTesting App
The UserTesting app, at the time of this article, appears to be invite only for iOS devices. This means that if you don’t receive an invitation, the app won’t work. The app is currently in development for the Android platform.
This makes sense considering you need to take a test in order to be accepted into the program.
How to Make Money With UserTesting
The way to make money through UserTesting is actually quite simple. First, when you sign up, you will be given a screening test.
This is a mock test provided by the company to make sure that you’re a good fit. They don’t pay you to take this test by the way.
On the test, you’ll be given a simple task that will test not only the quality of your mic (this is very important), but also your ability to follow instructions to the letter.
Once you’re finished, your test will be submitted and reviewed by the UserTesting quality control team. If you pass, you will be accepted into the program.
From there, you must log in to your account, and have your dashboard open. Most test alerts will show up on your dashboard, but occasionally they will email you.
With the UserTesting platform you can earn up to $60 per test. The process for earning is simple. Here are the 3 steps:
- Visit a website or an app
- Complete a set of tasks and speak your thoughts aloud
- Get paid via PayPal
It’s first come, first served, so the sooner you apply for a test, the more likely you will be chosen for a task.
Your first task will also be graded by UserTesting, which can take some time. But you will be paid for this one if you successfully complete it, as well as any other future successful tests you complete.
Is UserTesting Legit?
UserTesting is 100% legit. It has a B+ rating with the Better Business Bureau. At this time, the company is not accredited with the BBB though. And they’ve only received two customer complaints in the last three years.
It’s unclear how much total money has been paid out to testers. But they definitely pay, and quite well. The average is $10 USD per 20 minutes of your time. But you can make up to $60 for some tests.
UserTesting has been around since 2007 and continues to be one of the top websites on the Internet for helping companies engage with their customers.
Is UserTesting Safe?
There are a lot of scams out there, and it’s hard to know which ones are safe, and which ones aren’t worth it. Based on my research, I have found the UserTesting platform to be safe to use.
The platform works by installing screen-recording software to your computer. This software allows you to record what you see on your screen as you take a test. Tests usually also require a mic, but no webcam. If you’re like me and don’t like putting your face out there, this is a plus.
According to their website, they do not share you personal information such as name and email with companies unless you give them permission to. Your videos are the only things that get shared with companies. And they ask that you keep this information confidential.
Pros and Cons of UserTesting
- Fun, flexible and unique tests to complete.
- UserTesting pays well at up to $60 per test, which is a decent amount for the time spent.
- Flexible payments and you’re paid out a week after each completed test.
- You’ll be the first to see websites and apps in the making and assist in their development.
- You don’t always qualify for the tests you go for and it can be tedious to find one where you do qualify.
- It can be very time consuming taking screeners and there are a lot of hoops to jump through.
- One of the most common complaints is that you don’t always get paid on time.
- Not enough tests to go around for everyone. Very competitive atmosphere and you have to hustle or else you will miss out. Plus the higher your rating is, the more likely it is that you will qualify for more tests.
- Their customer support team could use some improvement.
- Only pays via PayPal and not everyone is a fan of PayPal.
- The app is invite only for iOS users at the time of this article.
The UserTesting program is legit and can earn you some extra income on the side. I think most people would agree, it probably won’t earn you anywhere near a full-time income. But compared to some of the other get-paid-to sites, $60 for a test is pretty solid.
Give it a try if you’re looking to make a few dollars on the side. I would set the right expectation upfront that you might not qualify for a lot of tests. And you might need to play the waiting game in between tests. But you never know, you might like it. It might be worth a try.